Wednesday, January 25, 2012

rambling thoughts

"The designer's practical skills in communicating novel ideas eased the smooth relationship between the production and consumption of goods necessary in a capitalist system of provision, and ensured that new products carried the requisite cachet to stand out in an overcrowded marketplace."

Christopher Breward. Fashion (Oxford History of Art)

Well, Kennedy could not have been more on the dot when he said the more knowledge we obtain the more our ignorance unfolds.
I was almost always under the notion that designers were a bit parallel to artists, to an extent.. but reading the designer's duties above in Fashion by Christopher Breward.. it feels like I've been exposed to a completely foreign idea that simultaneously makes complete sense.
With most big-name designers, I always felt-either you like it or leave it, people, they're a big deal for a reason. For instance, with Pilati, Tisci, Theyskens, etc. You know, they're amazing designers, and if you don't like their collection then too bad. The idea of the "celebrity designer" thrown around lately only reinforced those thoughts, too.

But after I read what Christopher Breward mentioned, the role of the designer.. of course it's not whatever they want to design.. it's designing for the wearer. Knowing what the demographic wants before they even realize it. And then it makes me think of Alber Elbaz's artist's statement, basically- I design for women and for women's bodies....Fashion is like food. If you can't eat it, it's not food. If you can't wear it, it's not fashion. And then on top of that he adds his signature..you know, telling a story with the clothes, the beautiful drapery, etc.

All these star designers.. they all know what people want before they even realize it themselves and present to us these fabulous, innovative and beautiful collections and then we can't help but go gaga for them. Of course.

Gosh I'm so embarrassed my foolishness.
Can't wait to see what other new ideas I uncover in this book.. hopefully it'll truly deepen my perspective on fashion.

just trying to put my thoughts into words..please disregard my gradually crumbling articulation skills..

No comments:

Post a Comment